- 88% success rate: Success after shunt removal, insertion of an EVD, and systemic antibiotic therapy is close to 88%.
- Risk for relapse of infection: Children who have suffered a CSF shunt infection are at risk of developing a second, third, or more episodes of infection, usually from the same strain of gram-positive microorganisms (153). However, more data are necessary to define the actual rates of this complication.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Outcome of Treatments for Shunt Infections in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references