- Shunt infections: Shunt infection is a known risk for brain abscesses. Although a rare phenomenon, there have been reports of brain abscesses in children that result from colonic perforation and ascending shunt infection (27, 49, 59, 77, 121). Below is an image from a child in whom a brain abscess resulted from an untreated shunt infection with no associated bowel perforation (46).
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Infection After a Neurosurgical Procedure Causing Brain Abscesses in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references