Tap on and choose 'Add to Home Screen' to create a shortcut app

Tap on and choose 'Install/Install App' to create a shortcut app

MRI of Intramedullary Spinal Cord Astrocytoma

This page was last updated on July 15th, 2017

General Findings

  • Spinal cord diameter:  The diameter of the spinal cord will be enlarged.  If it is not, a disease other than neoplasia should be suspected.
  • Eccentric: The epicenter for tumor will be off the midline involving one side of the cord more than another to a variable degree.
  • Smaller average length: The length of the spinal cord involved by the tumor is, on average 4 spinal segments.
  • Malignant tumors: These tumors can appear similar to benign.

T1-Weighted Sequence

  • Hypointense: 80% of time the tumor will appear slightly hypointense with the remaining 20% being isointense.
  • Blurred margins: The margins of the tumor will appear slightly blurred  due to the infiltrative nature of astrocytomas.
  • Gadolinium enhances: In almost all cases there will be uptake of gadolinium but the degree will vary.  The enhancement can be homogeneous or heterogeneous.

T2-Weighted Sequence

  • Hyperintense:  There is a variable degree of T2 hyperintensity in astrocytomas of the spinal cord.
  • Nonhomogeneous: The degree T2 hyperintensity within the tumor will vary (as opposed to edema, which is homogeneous).
  • Size matches T1-weighted sequence:  The size of the tumor seen on T2 imaging will match that seen on T1 imaging with benign tumors.

Your donations keep us going

The ISPN Guide is free to use, but we rely on donations to fund our ongoing work and to maintain more than a thousand pages of information created to disseminate the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of paediatric neurosurgery.

By making a donation to The ISPN Guide you are also indirectly helping the many thousands of children around the world whose treatment depends on well-informed surgeons.

Please consider making a donation today.

Use the app

The ISPN Guide can be used as a standalone app, both on mobile devices and desktop computers. It’s quick and easy to use.

Fully featured

Free registration grants you full access to The Guide and host of featured designed to help further your own education.

Stay updated

The ISPN Guide continues to expand both in breadth and depth. Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with our progress.