Understanding of Disease
- Surgery best treatment: Before the era of MRI, an infratentorial ependymoma was considered a tumor for which total resection was impossible. Brain MRI and modern microsurgical techniques have made radical resection feasible with fewer complications and better survival rates. Because of the strong correlation between extent of resection and survival, aggressive surgical resection is the most important treatment modality for pediatric infratentorial ependymomas.
- Surgical microscope: With popularization of microsurgical techniques and advances in imaging, especially MRI, radical resection of posterior fossa infratentorial ependymomas became more feasible.
- Surgical guidance: Microscopic surgery with detailed preoperative and intraoperative brain imaging, electrophysiological monitoring, and neuronavigation have improved the surgical outcomes.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'History of Management of Infratentorial Ependymomas in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references