Indications for the Procedure
- Symptoms indicating surgery: A hemorrhagic presentation, cardiac failure and/or presence of cortical venous drainage with venous hypertension.
- Standard preparation for surgery: Blood type and cross, complete set of labs (CBC, BMP, and coagulation studies), as well as adequate intravenous hydration must be achieved prior to treatment.
- Antiepileptic drugs: If seizures are present, use of antiepileptic drug is advised.
- Blood products: Fresh frozen plasma, platelets and concentrated prothrombin complex need to be reserved and readily available in case of major bleeding.
- Blood Loss: Blood volume loss can be a major concern. Make sure your anesthesiologist is prepared should major bleeding occur.
- Fluid overload: Fluid overload can also be a concern in patients with cardiac failure. The recommended contrast dose for interventional procedures should be kept to approximately 4 mL/kg.
Devices to be Implanted
- Aneurysm clips: In order to disconnect the fistula, permanent aneurysm clips may be used.
- Meshes: In cases of large bony defects after skeletonization, absorbable and non-absorbable meshes may be used along with bone substitutes.
- Dural substitutes: In cases of a large dural defect after resection, dural substitutes may be used.
- Operative microscope: An operative microscope should be ready before the dura is opened.
- Stereotactic equipped microscope: An stereotactic, computer assisted guidance equipped microscope might be used to acquire additional information regarding the DAVF angioarchitecture, and might help in assessing the fistula disconnection.
- Intraoperative angiogram: An intraoperative digital subtraction angiogram might be used to confirm complete obliteration after surgery. The groin should be prepped and draped before the case is started.
- Intraoperative Doppler: Intraoperative Doppler can also assist with detection of residual flow in the fistula.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Preparation for Surgery for Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references