- No focal neurological signs: Usually children with PXAs have no focal neurological signs.
- Standard: Standard preoperative blood tests should be performed, but no abnormalities are expected.
- Type and crossmatch: It is necessary to type and crossmatch packed red blood cells in preparation for inevitable bleeding at surgery in young children.
Regular x-rays and ultrasound
- Initial assessment: A CT scan is often done as the first assessment in the emergency room, especially when MRI is unavailable.
- Hypo- or isodense cystic tumor: A large cyst is usually seen in PXA. The solid portions of the tumor are hypo- to isodense and in contact with the pia.
- Contrast: The solid portion of the tumor has a uniform enhancement.
- T1-weighted MRI: The tumor is isointense to hypointense, with 70% of PXAs having leptomeningeal involvement.
- T2-weighted MRI: The tumor is isointense to hypointense with little surrounding edema.
- Contrast enhancement: The tumor enhances vividly with gadolinium. Some tumors have a dural tail.
- Cysts: Cysts are present in 50–60% of cases and will have CSF intensity, sometimes slightly more intense on T2-weighted images than CSF.
Nuclear Medicine Tests
- PET: FDG-PET studies show hypermetabolism in PXAs, whether or not they are anaplastic or grade II (26, 27).
- Seizure evaluation: EEG can confirm the onset of the seizures to the location of the tumor and might show interictal spikes.
- Language evaluation: Patients with large temporal tumors in the dominant hemisphere might show subtle language deficits.
Correlation of Tests
- Appearance on imaging: The location of the tumor on the CT/MRI scans and EEG findings can be used to determine the best surgical approach as well as the extent of resection.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Evaluation of Supratentorial Pleomorphic Xanthoastrocytomas in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references