- ICU: Patients should be observed in the ICU for at least 24 hours postoperatively.
- Standard orders: Routine post-craniotomy orders are issued on children after surgery for supratentorial ependymomas.
- CSF drainage: Special orders for parameters/drainage bag setup are usually not necessary, unless hydrocephalus present.
- Radiologic studies: MRI of the brain should be obtained within the first 48 hours to assess amount of residual tumor.
- Physical therapy and orthotics need variable: Need depends on neurologic deficits.
- Dependent on location of tumor: The morbidity associated with removal of supratentorial ependymomas is a function of the location of the tumor and the tissue that must be transgressed to reach it for resection.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Recovery From Surgery for Supratentorial Ependymomas in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references