Understanding of Disease
- 1831 – first described: Bright initially described arachnoid cysts in 1831 as “serous cysts within the arachnoid” (4).
- 1958 – first systematic study: Starkman et al. performed the first systematic study of these cysts in 1958 and concluded that these lesions definitely are developmental intraarachnoid cysts (20).
- Endoscopy: The use of endoscopy has allowed minimally invasive surgical treatment of arachnoid cysts.
- Endoscopic technique: Advances in endoscopic technology and techniques have made minimally invasive treatment an option. For cranial cysts, lesions in the posterior fossa, suprasellar, and quadrigeminal regions are accessible for endoscopic fenestration (8).
Please create a free account or log in to read 'History of Management of Arachnoid Cysts of the Head and Spine in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references