Frequency of Office Visits and Imaging
Vigilant follow-up is recommended in children after treatment of an intracranial aneurysm, since the annual risk of recurrence (2.6%) and the annual risk of de novo aneurysm formation (7.8%) are higher compared to adults (30, 58). In the absence of guidelines, the following recommendations are loosely based on the available literature:
- Initial postoperative visit at 4–6 weeks: The first postoperative visit should be scheduled 4–6 weeks after treatment.
- Annual visits: Annual visits and MRI scans including MR angiography are recommended, especially for patients with coiled aneurysms.
- Angiography after treatment: DSA should be discussed at 1 and 5 years after treatment.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'Follow-up for Intracranial Aneurysms in Children'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references