Tap on and choose 'Add to Home Screen' to create a shortcut app

Tap on and choose 'Install/Install App' to create a shortcut app

MRI of Intramedullary Spinal Cord Ganglioglioma

This page was last updated on May 9th, 2017

T1-weighted MRI with gadolinium enhancement of an intramedullary ganglioglioma:

General Findings

  • Spinal cord diameter enlarged.
  • Eccentric epicenter for tumor.
  • Average length of the tumor is 8 spinal segments, which is twice that of astrocytomas.
  • Cysts in 46%.

T1-Weighted Sequence

  • Mixed intensity:  Only a small percentage are homogeneously hypointense or isointense.
  • Blurred margins as with astrocytomas are common.
  • Gadolinium enhances in most cases.  65% of cases will have patchy enhancement, while 20%  will have focal  enhancement, and 15% can show no enhancement.

T1-weighted MRI of an intramedullary ganglioglioma:

T1 MRI with gadolinium enhancement of an intramedullary ganglioglioma:


T2-Weighted Sequence

  • Variable intensity: 60% of intramedullary gangliogliomas will be hyperintense while the remaining 40% will be heterogeneous.

T2-weighted MRI of an intramedullary ganglioglioma:

Your donations keep us going

The ISPN Guide is free to use, but we rely on donations to fund our ongoing work and to maintain more than a thousand pages of information created to disseminate the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of paediatric neurosurgery.

By making a donation to The ISPN Guide you are also indirectly helping the many thousands of children around the world whose treatment depends on well-informed surgeons.

Please consider making a donation today.

Use the app

The ISPN Guide can be used as a standalone app, both on mobile devices and desktop computers. It’s quick and easy to use.

Fully featured

Free registration grants you full access to The Guide and host of featured designed to help further your own education.

Stay updated

The ISPN Guide continues to expand both in breadth and depth. Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date with our progress.