- Average size of the tumor is 1 cm or less.
- Extension to pia: The solid portion of the tumor will typically extend to the pia with majority going to dorsal surface (5).
- Cysts are present in more than 50% of patients with these tumors. When present, the solid portion of the tumor will be a nodule coming off the cyst wall.
- Flow voids are commonly seen in tumors that are larger than 1.5 cm.
- Iso-, hypo- or mixed-intensity.
- Blurred margins due to infiltrative nature of tumor.
- Gadolinium enhances: The solid portion of the tumor will vividly enhance in a homogeneous manor if the tumor is less than 1 cm in diameter. When the tumor is larger, the enhancement will be heterogeneous.
- Hypointense: Hemangioblastomas will appear hypointense on T2-weighted sequences and commonly there will be a surrounding hyperintensity due to the edema in the cord.
Please create a free account or log in to read 'MRI of Intramedullary Spinal Cord Hemangioblastoma'
Registration is free, quick and easy. Register and complete your profile and get access to the following:
- Full unrestricted access to The ISPN Guide
- Download pages as PDFs for offline viewing
- Create and manage page bookmarks
- Access to new and improved on-page references